These tacos are shrimply amazing! I absolutely love eating shrimp tacos during the heat of summer because of the amazing amount of refreshing flavors that go into it. When I think of summertime, I find myself always craving things with a high citrus taste. I absolutely love shrimp for this purpose because it’s one of the best proteins that melds together so well with limes, lemons, and other citrus-y flavors. The spicy Sriracha mayo on top adds a layer of richness, creaminess, and flavor, while the lime-infused cabbage coleslaw balances your palate with crunch and freshness. Pair this recipe with shrimp ceviche as an appetizer and you got yourself an awesome meal!
Ingredients (For 8-10 tacos)
-8-10 six-inch tortillas (if you like flowers, get flour; if you like being corny, get corn)
-1 lb of medium-sized shrimps, shells peeled and deveined
-8 tbsp of freshly squeezed lime juice (about 4 limes)
-2 tbsp cilantro, minced
-2 cloves of garlic, minced
-1/2 tsp of cumin
-1 tbsp olive oil
-Kosher salt, for seasoning
-1/4th of green cabbage, shredded
-1/4th of red onion, sliced thinly
-2 tbsp of lime or lemon juice (about 1 lime)
-1 tbsp olive oil
-1/4th cup cilantro
-1 avocado, thinly sliced
1) Shred 1/4th of a green cabbage into a mixing bowl.
2) Cut the red onion into thin slices and place in water for about 10 minutes to remove the sulfuric component that gives the onion it’s powerful aftertaste.
3) Drain the red onion and add to the mixing bowl.
4) Add cilantro, olive oil, avocado, and lime juice to the bowl.
5) Add kosher salt to taste and mix gently as to not mash the avocado slices to smithereens.
6) Allow to sit for 5 minutes to allow flavors to mingle together
1) Add lime juice, garlic, cumin, and olive oil to a mixing bowl. Season the marinade with kosher salt to taste, and mix.
2) Add de-shelled and de-veined shrimp to the marinade. Cover in plastic wrap and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes in the fridge
3) Heat up a pan with a neutral oil at medium high heat. Add the shrimp to the pan and cook each side for approx 2-3 minutes.
4) Warm up a tortilla on a pan with medium heat. Add the cabbage slaw, shrimp, and/or sriracha mayo or other salsa as you please.
-Add some lime juice on top of the taco for an extra citrus taste!
-Add some cilantro on top of your taco for extra garnish
-Pan may get watery from the marinaded shrimp. If you want a little browner color on your shrimp, cook a little longer (don’t overdo it, or you’ll end up with rubbery shrimp, and that’s no fun).
-You may notice the shrimp beginning to redden in the marinade. This is due to the acidity of the lime’s citric acid “cooking” the shrimp.
–Delish’s Original “Cilantro Lime Shrimp Taco” Recipe