Zucchini noodles (zoodles) are quite the craze these days. I was skeptical at first when looking it up. You’re telling me that you can replace the staple tried-and-true ingredient of pasta with a green vegetable thats made up mostly of water? After trying it out myself, I can assure you that zoodles are, indeed, legit. They taste mostly like their carbohydrate-loaded counterpart and is filled with healthy vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants. This makes it perfect for those trying to lose weight or just simply want to eat healthier. Plus, they add some awesome color to your food photo! Just look at that feature picture, it’s so vibrant, you’d think Christmas came early.
Here is a very quick and simple recipe that’l be sure to get you on the zoodle train (if you aren’t already). For this recipe, you will want to get a spiralizer, it’l definitely make your life much easier!
Ingredients (4-6 servings)
-4-6 large zucchinis (approx 1 to 1.5 zucchinis per person)
-2 jars of 1 lb of your favorite pasta sauce (I used Sprout’s Italian Herb Pasta Sauce)
-1 lb of ground beef (93% lean:7% fat) -OR- 1 lb of Beyond Beef ground beef (vegetarian option)
-Kosher salt (to taste)
-Black pepper (to taste)
-2 cloves garlic, finely diced
-1/2 of large onion, diced
-Approx 15 or so roma tomatoes, cut in half
-1/2 lb of white mushrooms, diced
-1 tbsp olive oil
1) Give your zucchinis a wash and then cut off both ends
2) Spiralize your zucchinis with a spiralizer. If you don’t have one, get one. Trust me, it’s worth it.
3) In a saute pan, add about a tbsp of olive oil and allow to heat on medium-high heat. Cook for approx 4-5 minutes.
4) Grab the cooked zoodles with tongs and place on a plate. Alternatively, you can also strain out the zoodles to dry it out before plating.
1) In a pot on medium high heat, put in olive oil and wait for it to heat up
2) Add onions and beef to the pot. Season the onions and beef with a couple pinches of salt and black pepper. Stir occasionally.
3) After cooking for approx 4 minutes, add garlic and mushroom to the pot and stir until all ingredients are nicely browned.
4) Add the two jars of pasta sauce and stir to mix all ingredients.
5) Cook the sauce until sauce begins to boil.
6) Turn off heat and add sauce onto zucchini
-Zucchinis have really high water content. Expect to see a lot of water coming out of the pan when you are cooking it. Expect more to come out as you eat your spaghetti as well.