I usually dislike writing recipes that uses highly specific ingredients made by one supplier/manufacturer, but this recipe is a great exception to that. These vegetarian “mock” beef chunks from VegeFarm are so savory and dense with umami flavor, while adding lemongrass gives nice, citrusy notes and fragrance. The secret ingredient (peanut butter) amps up the flavor profile further and gives each bite a yummy nuttiness. Meanwhile, the Thai chili peppers adds a pop of color and spice to this dish. This is a perfect vegetarian meal that goes very well with a hot, steaming bowl of rice. My family has been enjoying this super quick and easy recipe for many years now, and I am glad to share it with you all!
Ingredients (for about 4 servings)
-16 oz of Vegefarm VegeBeef Chunks
-1 cup Vegefarm VegeChicken Ham, diced into 1/2 inch chunks
-1 tsp salt
-3 tsp sugar
-1/2 cup water
-1 tsp peanut butter (creamy, not chunky)
-1 tsp Vietnamese caramel cooking sauce
-2 Tbsp lemon grass, finely diced
-1 Tbsp cooking oil
-Thai chili peppers
1. In a pan, add cooking oil and heat on medium-low heat
2. Once oil is heated, add lemon grass and stir fry on medium-low heat until the lemon grass slightly softens
3. Add all remaining ingredients except Thai chili peppers to the pan
4. Turn heat on high and cook while stirring constantly until liquid evaporates and the vegetarian ham and beef chunks are browned (approx 5-7 minutes)
5. Turn off heat and add Thai chili peppers to the pan and serve
-If you don’t want a spicy dish, you can exclude the addition of chili peppers.
-Alternatively, if you want a spicier dish, you can throw the peppers in while the beef chunks and ham are cooking on high heat. Even more heat can be added if you slice some of the peppers and add while it is stir frying
-This recipe does call for very specific and branded ingredients. Your best chance at finding the VegeFarm and caramel cooking sauce ingredients would be in your local Asian grocery store. Alternatively, the VegeFarm website has them for online purchasing.
-FYI: I am not sponsored by VegeFarm and this recipe is purely one that my family has been enjoying for years using their amazing ingredients
-Vegetarian Ham image taken from Vegefarm Website