Perhaps one of my favorite meals in Hawaii has got to be their Garlic Butter Shrimp that you can get. If you are ever in the area, there’s an awesome restaurant called Ted’s Bakery that makes amazing Garlic Butter Shrimp and pies. It’s a perfect garlicky, buttery and fresh dish that will really make you feel like you are on a beach island vacation.
However, the majority of us can’t always go on an island getaway. I missed it so much, that I decided to make my own Garlic Butter Shrimp on the Weber Kettle. It’s super fast and simple, and makes for a perfect appetizer for any BBQ. It’s shrimply amazing!
-9-12 larger shrimp (13/15 shrimp/lb)
-2 tbsp unsalted butter
-1/4th onion, diced
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-1/4th tsp red pepper flake
-Parsley, chopped for garnish
-Weber Kettle Grill
-Wooden Kebabs- soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
1) Pre-heat your grill to about 400°F (direct heat side)
2) While grill is pre-heating, melt butter in a saucepan on medium heat
3) Once butter is melted, add onion, garlic, and red pepper flake. Stir constantly until garlic and onion begin browning and smelling great (about 3 minutes)
4) Place your shrimps on the pre-soaked skewers; 3 on each skewer is recommended
5) Baste your shrimps with the garlic butter sauce on each side
6) Place your shrimps on the direct heat side and grill for about 6-7 minutes, being sure to flip constantly.
7) When shrimp has that nice cooked pink appearance, take off of the grill and baste once again in the garlic butter sauce. Garnish with some parsley.
8) Wear your sunglasses, put some sunscreen on your face, and pretend you are at a tropical island getaway and sipping mai-tais as you munch on these amazing shrimps. If you are actually on a tropical island, then put on sunscreen anyway because sunburns suck.
-Remember to pre-soak your kebabs in water, or the sticks are gonna burn up and you’ll find yourself in a stick-y situation.
-Constantly flipping your shrimps every 30 seconds-1 minute will help your shrimps cook more evenly
-Shrimps cook very fast on the grill and make for awesome appetizers/additions to other foods that you plan on grilling.
-These shrimps go great with rice! If you have fried onions/shallots, you can sprinkle it on for more amazing aroma, flavor, and crunch!